Tuesday, 1 January 2013

No Year Resolutions

I think I might have a gene missing. Lots of Bloggers are putting up their New Year Resolutions - and good luck to them - but I won't be doing that because I don't have any.


You see, the trouble is, as a novelist, I always see the consequences to any action or statement. So I see the old man in the baby and the danger of failure and disappointment in any public plan to lose weight, take more exercise, read more improving books or whatever the list of resolutions contains.

I'd rather make private pacts with myself and then I'm the only one who can sigh and shake her head at the end of the year. But then I don't really like New Year. December 31st is the day my mother died so it always feels unnatural to be partying and celebrating.

Oh dear; this is all beginning to sound rather curmudgeonly and I don't mean it to. I think it's partly that for me, the year really begins in October, the academic New Year. Maybe it's because at 19 I was the oldest girl in my secondary school (I stayed on an extra year to take Greek A Level - how geeky is that?). Then there was university and postgrad and more than 25 years of the girls' education from nursery school for the oldest till the extended end of the youngest's second undergraduate degree in 2009.






I can understand making resolutions in October; it all goes with bundles of new pens, pristine notebooks, lined pads and a fresh haul of books to study.

January is a good time to think of beginnings, as well. I always feel hopeful once we are past the shortest day and the year is turning on its upward curve, like Fortune's Wheel or the London Eye, on the way up to the giddy heights of summer.

I just know that most of the things I want to happen in 2013 are not in my control - maybe I should make a list of New Year Wishes instead?

Whether you make resolutions or wishes or not, I wish all you who kindly read this blog a very Happy New Year and all the things you wish or resolve for yourselves.

7 comments:

Nicola Morgan said...

I don't do resolutions any more, either. Yesterday I blogged about the things I was looking forward to in 2013, based on the projects I'm involved in or planning, but that's different. I do have some goals and aims (but I haven't blogged about them!) but again I think those are different from resolutions.

I think the problem people make with resolutions is a) in making resolutions about things they've already failed to do before, without thinking about why they failed and b) in making resolutions which are not measurable, realistic and time-based. And they (or I) make them but don't then put in place strategies to make them work. Thus speaks the voice of experience!

Anyway, whatever your plans for 2013, Mary, I hope it's a wonderful one for you. Lang may yer lum reek, as we say up here!

Stroppy Author said...

Ah, but it's the publicness of it that shames you into sticking to the resolution, isn't it? If it works for you, that is. I don't generally do resolutions either - or at least not the drink less/get fit type. I have one this year, though - re claim my life!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't do NY resolutions. There are just too many other things to think about and like you, I lost a parent this time of year. It was the 28th, but somehow NY Eve seems silly these days. I didn't even spend it with friends this year, but went to the local art deco rerun cinema for the Rocky Horror Picture Show, where I chatted with strangers and had fun.

If I was doing resolutions I wouldn't blog about it! Too much is too public these days. But have a great year, Mary! I have enjoyed your posts this year.

Mary Hoffman said...

Thank you, Sue! And a very happy New Year to you too. Anne, I like your resolution.

And Nicola, I hope my lum will reek well in 2013 and yours too! Isn't it a chimney?

Nicola Morgan said...

Yes, it's a chimney! x

maryom said...

Having never done resolutions before, I've made one this year - to finish all the half-completed projects I have lying around - crafting, gardening, actually listening to the Swedish language course that's languishing under some junk, even tidying up that junk! I'm not starting yet though - Christmas still has a few days to run so no knuckling down to things here till schools goes back.
Happy New Year all :)

Penny Dolan said...

Having recently posted my New Year Resolutions elsewhere, I recongnise the sense of all your sentiments. My resolutions were ones I'd been thinking about for a while, and I do hope to keep up with them.

On the other hand, read recently that the making of such positive decisions releases the buzzy chemicals that reward your brain, so that means you get the satisfaction of having done "x" without doing it. Maybe that accounts for the popularity of NYR? And why many NYR fade so fast?

Sorry to hear about your father Mary. It does alter the mood of such dates. Slightly differently, my own Dad died early on 31st, but my brother and I decided this was so we never had an excuse to forget the date, as we were sure to if left to our own unpunctual & mildly disappointing ways.