Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Christmas haul

Books do furnish a room, don't they? (Except when they are on a Kindle, but that's another blog post). This was what I got for Christmas (and not all my presents were books, so I am a lucky girl).

BOTH new biographies of Dickens, which will be appropriately read this bi-centenary year. Two beautifully-produced titles - The Dud Avocado and A Boy at the Hogarth Press (Have to share this one with husband).

Also shared and and my proudest book moment yet, Anne Rooney's The Story of Physics, IN WHICH I GET AN ACKNOWLEDGMENT! Yes, your eyes do not deceive you. An acknowledgment in a Physics book, when I have not had one Physics lesson in my life. Admittedly it was more for general encouragement than science but I glow with pride every time I look at it. And of course I shall read it and then know some Physics.

I also have the letters of Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa, who wrote The Leopard (IL Gattopardo) one of my favourite books and made into a pretty decent film too.

The seventh is Girl Reading, a very clever find by husband, in which the first chapter is about Simone Martini's Annunciation, my favourite painting in the world.

I'll report back as I read them and certainly have already good material for another booky year. But first I must finish reading Bill Bryson's wonderful At Home, about the history of domestic houses, rooms and household management, which immensely more interesting even than it sounds. About to read 34 pages on the fuse box!

Happy New Year to you all and good reading.

5 comments:

Stroppy Author said...

I am *so* pleased that you are proud to be an honorary physicist! The things you know and do are more valuable than physics (but don't tell my publisher I said that).

*Hello publisher, since you're bound to come across this*

bookwitch said...

What are you doing on the fuse box?

Book Maven said...

Not me - Bill Bryson!

Book Maven said...

Oh and I forgot to mention the Lampedusa letters - will add.

C D Meetens said...

How lucky to get such a great selection of books! My idea of good Christmas presents :).