Sunday, 30 May 2010

Walker Canongate YA books


In an inspired new venture, two independent publishers have got together to produce the best of adult books that they think teenagers would enjoy. A sort of reverse crossover, if you like.

I've read two out of the four launch titles and think they've made some really good choices.

Not only did The Life of Pi win the Booker Prize, it's an enjoyable, reasonably challenging read and a good introduction to the idea of the "unreliable narrator."

And Niccolò Ammaniti's I'm Not Scared is a terrific choice. I haven't read the Canongate translation but "Io non ho paura" was a set book on my Italian Literature course a few years back and I also saw the very good film made of it.  I think it's Ammaniti's best book - possibly even the best book he'll ever write.

Four titles will be released in July this year, the other two being Kelly Link's Pretty Monsters and Matt Haig's The Radleys, with new covers like the ones above. It will be interesting to see how they go down with a new audience.

5 comments:

Katherine Langrish said...

'Pretty Monsters' is an AMAZING collection of extremely edgy fantasy stories which turned me green with envy and the wish to have written even one of them.

This looks like an interesting venture.

Mary Hoffman's Newsletter said...

Oh, good. Will read them when I can read anything other than what is officially teen fiction!

Nicola Morgan said...

I agree that these are good choices. Interestingly, however, when this was originally announced, it was going to be two-way - some Walker YA titles were, it seemed, going to be published by Canongate as adult titles. Maybe they are saving the best till last!!

Mary Hoffman's Newsletter said...

I didn't know that Nicola. Wasted would be a good one to send in the other direction!

Nicola Morgan said...

Now, there's a thought!